Schedule a Complimentary Consultation Today!Book an appointment
Dental Crowns / Dental Caps
A dental crown, sometimes referred to as a dental cap, is constructed to restore a tooth to its original size and shape following extensive dental treatment like a root canal or extraction, advanced tooth decay removal or a broken tooth.
Crowns can be made out of several types of materials. Porcelain dental crowns, in particular, are very durable and are popular among dental patients because they can be made to resemble the natural tooth.
When they need dental crowns, Hurst, TX residents come to Stone Creek Dental Group.
Crowns are used for the following reasons
- Decayed, broken, or cracked teeth will need dental caps or crowns to restore form, function, and aesthetics.
- A tooth that has received root canal treatment will need a crown to protect the tooth from possible fracture.
- Large fillings are prone to failure so crowns are often placed instead.
The procedure for placing a crown usually requires two appointments:
- The first appointment includes taking diagnostic models of your tooth to prepare for the construction of the final crown. At the same appointment your dentist will numb the tooth and prepare the tooth by removing decay and creating the ideal surface for your future crown. While the laboratory constructs your future crown you will be fitted with a temporary crown.
- At the second appointment, which is generally scheduled two weeks after the first appointment, the temporary crown is removed and the custom crown is tried in to verify fit. At this point your dentist will make any necessary adjustments and permanently cement the crown in place.
Following your visit at our office in Hurst, TX you will receive home care instructions for how to best care for your new dental crowns. Remember, regular dental visits combined with good eating habits and oral hygiene help lengthen the life of your crown and can even prevent you from needing additional dental crowns in the future.
Questions / concerns?
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding your oral health, we are more than happy to sit down with you and discuss how you can achieve a beautiful, healthy smile.Contact our team